Who Will Be Responsible for the Kids’ College?

Child support as required by statute automatically ends when children of the marriage turn 18 or graduate high-school, whichever is later. One question many divorced parents then encounter is, “Who is responsible for the kids’ college?”

While neither party is automatically required to pay the children’s college expenses per law, a party may petition the court to enter an award for contribution to a non-minor child’s college expenses. Such expenses may include, tuition, books and supplies, medical expenses and insurance, and reasonable living expenses. A requirement to contribute towards college expenses terminates when the child obtains the age of 23, graduates, fails to maintain a “C” grade point average or marries.

If you are a divorced parent with kids entering college, contact your family law attorney today to find out the options available to you.