Post-Decree Enforcement and Modification Attorneys Wheaton & Aurora, IL

Life tends to undergo changes over time, and the decree initially issued by the court after your divorce settlement may not be applicable for the long term. For some people, this change is drastic as they get remarried, move out of the city or state, get better jobs, or lose their jobs, which require modification in court orders to adjust to their current circumstances.

This calls for a post-decree modification in which you request the court to reevaluate your case and make adjustments accordingly. Modification can be related to spousal support, child support, and visitation, and sometimes it is to address the non-performance of an obligation. There are also situations when the ex-spouse may refuse to accept your request for modification, in which case you may have to resort to post-decree enforcement.

At Keller Legal Services, our family law attorneys work closely with clients to understand their specific situation and needs, and devise a legal strategy to ensure their enforcement and modification issues are addressed promptly. We have over 25 years of experience in representing clients in Illinois, and know the profound effect family law matters can have on our clients’ lives. After carefully evaluating your case, we prepare solid evidence to produce in front of the court in order to demonstrate the changes in circumstances since the issuance of the original divorce decree.

Post-Divorce Modifications

Some common situations where you may need to request the court to modify its initial orders are:

  • Child Custody: If an issue arises that makes it difficult for you to cope with your child’s basic needs and affects their wellbeing, the court can review and change both visitation and child custody.
  • Child Support: If any change in your circumstances causes financial burden, you may ask the court recalculate the child support payments.
  • Relocation: If a custodial parent has to relocate because of their new job or any other reason, they will need to get an approval from the court in order to ensure it doesn’t affect the visitation rights of the ex-spouse.
  • Spousal Maintenance: After the divorce settlement, it is a rare occurrence that spousal maintenance is adjusted in favor of the recipient spouse. However, it may be changed if they get remarried.


At Keller Legal Services, we offer effective legal counsel and representation services to clients regarding support and custody enforcement matters. If your ex-spouse is not complying with any point of the divorce decree, we can help you take the necessary measures for petitioning the court to review this matter. In addition, if you are being falsely accused of violating the divorce decree, we can help you in this respect and defend your position. We will work with you closely to get the best possible outcome for your particular situation.

Family Law Attorneys for Post-Decree Modification and Enforcement

For a free consultation with one of our experienced DuPage and Kane County Family Lawyers, contact our offices today at 630-868-3093.